Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Grace Potter & the Nocturnals - New Album Release


I thought I would drop in with some quick thoughts on Grace Potter & the Nocturnals' new self-titled album, freshly downloaded on my iTunes (I'm not too quick on the uptake, I know...)

I saw GPN for the first time at the Gathering of the Vibes last summer and was immediately impressed with the fun hardcore rock 'n' roll element to their music.  There's no doubt the songs themselves were well-written, but I suspected that it was Grace's incredible voice and performance that kept the audience engaged.

Now I know I love their sound even in the studio.  'Paris (Ooh La La)' and 'Medicine' have infectious licks that won't escape you for weeks.  

Here's the GPN on Jay Leno doing "Paris" -



In fact, upon re listening to the album a number of times, I have come to the conclusion that there isn't even one flop song on the album.  All of the tracks are interesting and have their own sound.  I especially love rockers "Hot Summer Night" and "Only Love" as well as the chilled-out tune "Oasis."  

After overcoming some initial skepticism about the group's new tunes, I have to give it to them: this album is wholly original while maintaining their trademark spunk and classic rock 'n' roll sound. 


In other words?  It gets the stamp of approval.

I see a tiny light -
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment