Thursday, August 5, 2010

GATHERING OF THE VIBES 2010 (Part 1 of 4) @ Seaside Park in Bridgeport, CT

As I settle in to write this entry, I wonder: could there be a more perfect way to celebrate the life and legacy of Jerry Garcia than the Gathering of the Vibes?  I think not.  So long story short, I plan on returning to the Vibes for a long, long time.

My festivities kicked off with a remarkable show from Dark Star Orchestra on Thursday night.  I hadn't seen these guys since Furthur recruited John Kadlecik to tour with them and Jeff Mattson from the Zen Tricksters took his place.  I think that seeing the DSO comes closer to seeing The Grateful Dead live than Further, the spin-off band with Phil Lesh and Bob Weir.  They cover whole Grateful Dead shows from cover to cover, and occasionally play original setlists as well.  If you close your eyes and listen, it can feel organic (or so I've been told!).

Thursday night, the band did a solid cover of the 10/17/82 show from Santa Fe, NM.

I caught two tunes on video that night - Me & My Uncle > Mexicali Blues.  Feel free to ignore the peanut gallery :)



Stay tuned for three more entries about the Vibes!

Peace, love, and way too much glitter glue,
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment