Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The McLovins @ FTC in Fairfield, CT on 18 December 2010

Finals? Finished.  Home? Here.  And the music? Marvelous.  Is there a better way to kick off the holidays than some groovin' jams?  I think not.
And boy, did they deliver.  I've said it before and I'll say it again: Saturday night was the best McLovins show I've seen (and I've seen quite a few, my friends).  It seems like every time I go to a show, the band is always so much tighter, so much on it than what I can recall.
The group began with a dose of Tokyo Tea, with a slightly theatrical twist - each member entered individually and joined in the groove.

But it was a funked-out version of Shakedown Street that really got things going.  People were up and dancing and there were glowsticks all around!  I love the way they cover the Grateful Dead tune - it's fresh but retains the essence of the original.

My other favorite moment from the first set was a Phish cover: Meatstick Reprise.  Dear reader, if you are not familiar with such a song, please do your homework.  A new song called Mon Ami finished the set.
Tetop, another new tune, began the second set.  I like this song a lot because there are a lot of different elements to it.  The choruses are totally catchy, but there's a sort of space in the interim that's kinda cool and different.
Check it out:
To me, Virtual Circle was the highlight of the show.  The song just really gets me: I love its fast-paced, almost frenzied feel.  This time, it tore the place down.  Halfway through the guitar tones morphed into something much more metally, which had the crowd doing a jazzed-up robot... myself included.
Cohesive, the McLovins' newest official single, came next.  The only version that I knew was the studio recording with Tom Marshall and Anthony Krizan, so I was hearing it live for the first time. 

Deep Monster Trance was on fire, and could I get through Bedheadded Crystal Bugger without a sweat?  Nope.

The boys did Little Wing as the encore; a sweet ending to a very sweet night.

I was glad to see that there were lots of high school-age kids in the crowd - I would love to see these guys totally infiltrate the masses of youth.

Happy (Almost) New Year's!
Elizabeth 

No comments:

Post a Comment